We've got you.
If you've got a question about the MindLabs app, we've written out some FAQs that should help. If you've still got a question (or just fancy a chat 👋), drop us an email at email@example.com and we'll do our best to help you out!
MindLabs is a mental health platform with live and on-demand video classes for your mind. Classes are rooted in neuroscience, and are designed to help you rewire your brain to sleep better, stress less and feel happier. You can download MindLabs here.
What is MindLabs?
MindLabs is an iOS app, featuring hundreds of live and on-demand video classes led by expert instructors. On-demand classes cover all aspects of mental wellbeing, focusing on specific problem areas like stress and anxiety, low mood, focus and relationships.
Live classes are filmed twice or three times a day, and include our morning energiser Brainboost, a lunch-time Reset and an evening Unwind class, as well as more in-depth sessions like Deep Meditation or our visualisation-based class, Imagine.
App features include tailored recommendations to help you find the right class for you, the ability to save classes, and the ability to schedule classes into your week by setting reminders or syncing them with your calendar. We know that positive impact requires habit change, so we help you build mindfulness into your routine with Mindful Minutes, your own mindfulness metric that enables you to set targets and track your progress.
Who is MindLabs for?
MindLabs is for everyone! We all have mental health, and we can all take steps to look after it.
You may benefit from our classes if you’re struggling with problems like stress, low mood or difficulty sleeping, but you may benefit just as much if you’re not experiencing any of this and just want to improve your mental fitness!
We have classes for everyone, wherever you’re at.
Is MindLabs for people experiencing serious mental illness?
MindLabs classes provide tools to help you feel less anxious, better manage your emotions and improve your sleep, and therefore may be helpful for those experiencing mental health problems. However, it is no substitute for psychiatric treatment.
What can MindLabs help me with?
MindLabs can help you improve your mental wellbeing and learn to navigate life’s ups and downs, providing tools to assist you with emotion regulation, sleep and relaxation, focus and concentration and so much more. The app is designed to help you build a mindful habit, with the ability to track your progress, schedule classes into your calendar and set mindful reminders.
What makes MindLabs different?
There are a lot of mental health apps on the market right now, but none of them are quite like MindLabs. Here's what makes us different:
- Live classes: we film 2-3 live classes every day, streamed directly from our West London studio to your iPhone. By watching a class live, you can build a much more authentic relationship with our instructors, and feel truly part of the MindLabs community. As these classes take place at the same time each week, you can build mindfulness into your routine.
- Video-first: in a world where most meditations are audio-based, we’ve created a high-production, video-first app, believing that the relationship you build with your instructor is fundamental to your experience of a mindfulness class.
- A fresh take on mental health: with our bold lighting, our energetic branding and scientific approach, we’re creating a mental health solution that feels fresh and new. At MindLabs, we don’t just help you overcome stress, anxiety and low mood (although this is an important part of what we do) - we also help you build mental fitness. Just as you might lift weights in the gym, we help you strengthen the neural pathways that lead to better concentration and focus, improved presence and self-awareness, and more positive thinking patterns.
Who are your instructors?
Our instructors are experts in their field, ranging from neuroscientists (like our Head of Mindfulness Anne-Sophie), clinical psychologists (like Dr. Erica McInnis), doctors (like Dr. Bhasha Mukherjee) and mindfulness and breathwork experts (like Luke Doherty, Jamie Clements, Richie Bostock and Paula Pluck).
Where can I find you on social media?
You can find us on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and TikTok. Come and say hello! 👋
Are you hiring?
Yes! Head to our careers page to see our latest vacancies.
How do I access the app?
You can download it from the App Store. Either click this link or head to the App Store and search for 'MindLabs.'
Is there an Android version available?
Unfortunately MindLabs is only available to iOS users right now. Creating an Android app is high on our priority list - watch this space!
Can I use the MindLabs app on my iPad?
Right now we're only optimised for iPhone. It you would like to use the iPhone version on your iPad, you can do this by changing your search results in the iPad store to 'iPhone only'. If you do this and search MindLabs, the app will appear. You'll get the best experience on your phone though!
Do I need to be sitting down to take a MindLabs class?
Not at all, you can choose the most comfortable way for you to get the most of the class, the most important thing is that you’re comfortable and can follow the class without worrying about anything else. We certainly suggest you use the sleep classes lying down to fall asleep faster.
Do I need any extra equipment or special clothing to take classes?
Nope! You just need a comfortable place where you can focus on the class and won’t be disturbed (and the MindLabs app of course!). Some classes occasionally invite the use of props (like the Mindful Eating Exercise class, which encourages you to bring something to eat, or Isik’s Exploring Pleasurable Touch class, for which you’ll need an object you can hold in your hand).
I've never meditated before. Is MindLabs still for me?
Absolutely! MindLabs is a very accessible introduction to meditation. You don’t need to have meditated before, and it shouldn’t take long for you to feel the benefits of MindLabs.
Don’t be discouraged if you find some classes difficult at first - it takes time to develop skills like focused attention, but we all need to start somewhere!
I want to build mindfulness into my routine. How can MindLabs help with this?
MindLabs is designed to help you build a mindful habit. You can do this by...
- Setting reminders: reminder is one of the three ‘R’s of habit change. We give you the option of setting reminders at a time that suits you, to nudge you to take a class.
- Schedule live classes into your week: our live classes take place 2-3 times a week, at the same times each day. Schedule your favourite classes into your week and sync them with your calendar to help you feel more accountable.
- Smashing your goal: Mindful Minutes are designed to help you track your progress, work towards a target and celebrate your wins: all key components of behaviour change.
- Classes: many of our classes themselves are geared towards building healthy habits, like Motivating yourself with breathwork and Breaking habits with urge surfing.
Is MindLabs safe for me?
Most of our classes are safe to practice. However, some of the deep breathing exercises in our breathwork classes may not be suitable for everyone (for example if you’re pregnant). You’ll see a disclaimer at the start of any classes featuring these exercises, so you’ll know which ones might require a bit of extra caution. You can find our full medical disclaimer here.
Using the app
Can I use MindLabs from anywhere in the world?
We're initially launching MindLabs in the UK and Europe as our live classes are best suited for these time zones. We will be opening up the availability to other areas in the near future, so stay tuned!
Can I use MindLabs when I don't have internet access?
Although we strongly support your digital detox, unfortunately our app does not. Our content is currently only available when using Wifi or mobile data.
How do I save a class to come back to it later?
To save a class, simply use the ❤️ icon that can be found on all on-demand classes. To find them, simply head to your profile and tap on 'saved' classes. All the classes you've saved will be stored for you to come back to as many times as you want.
What are Mindful Minutes?
Mindful Minutes are designed to help you create a mindful habit. Each minute of a class you watch, you'll gain a Mindful Minute. You'll be asked to set a Mindful Minutes goal when you first download the app, and can access your Mindful Minutes in your MindLabs profile or in the Apple Health app.
Mindful Minutes is also the data point used by Apple Health to help understand how much time you spend doing some form of mindful activity (like a MindLabs class!).
How do I connect MindLabs to Apple Health?
There are three ways to sync with Apple Health:
- From your MindLabs 'Settings': In the MindLabs app, go to your Profile by tapping the icon in the top right of the Home screen. Find ‘Settings’ (in the top right corner of your Profile page). Turn on the toggle for ‘Sync with Apple Health’ and allow MindLabs to read and write Mindful Minutes data to Apple Health.
- From the Settings app in your phone: Open the ‘Settings’ app on your iOS device and scroll down to the Apple Health app. Tap on ‘Data Access & Devices’ and scroll down to MindLabs. Turn on the toggle for Mindful Minutes and allow MindLabs to read and write data to Apple Health.
- From MindLabs onboarding: When you first download the MindLabs app and go through the onboarding you’ll be asked to create an account using Apple Sign in. The next step after setting a Mindful Minutes goal will ask you to sync with Apple Health. Here, you can tap on allowing MindLabs to read and write Mindful Minutes to/from Apple Health.
I'm under 18. Can I still use MindLabs?
MindLabs is targeted for people over the age of 18. If you are using MindLabs and are under the age of 18, please make sure you have asked a parent or guardian for their consent.
What are live classes?
Unlike on-demand classes, which are filmed in advance for you to watch anytime, live classes are filmed every day for you to watch in real-time as we film them (or on replay for up to two weeks after). They’re streamed directly from our West London studio to your phone.
Live classes take place at the same time each week, so you can schedule them into your weekly routine. They include a morning Brainboost session, a lunch-time Reset, an evening Unwind and more in-depth sessions like Deep Meditation and Imagine.
What happens if I miss a class?
Once they are finished, live class will appear as a ‘Replay’ 24 hours after airing, and will be available to watch for 14 days after this.
What is the free daily class?
The free daily class is a class that best matches the goal and topics you select when you first download the app. It’s there to give you a taste of the content MindLabs offers to subscribers.
How does the 'recommended for you' row work?
The ‘recommended for you’ row takes into account the goals and topics you selected when you first downloaded the app, and chooses the classes that best fit your needs and interests.
I'd like to listen to a class rather than watch it. How do I do this?
When you start a class, at the top of the screen there is a toggle that you can turn to “audio”. This will allow you to listen to the class instead of watching it.
Can I download classes?
We don’t (yet) offer the option to download classes, so you’ll need internet access to watch a MindLabs class.
How can I send a message to instructors?
There is no direct way to message instructors, but we have several feedback buttons in the app. You can provide feedback on the results screen or in Settings. If you leave a message for instructors here we’ll make sure they see it!
How can I contact you if I have problems with the app?
You can contact us by hitting the 'Support' button in the Settings page of the MindLabs app, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I set up notifications but I'm not receiving any. How can I fix this?
If you’re having problems with your notifications you can check your reminder settings either in the MindLabs app or your phone’s Settings app by following the steps below. If you still need help you can contact us on email@example.com.
- Make sure daily reminders are turned on from Settings in the MindLabs app: Head to your 'Profile' (by clicking the icon at the top-right hand corner of the Home screen) and navigate to Settings. Tap on Daily Reminders, turn the toggle on if it is turned off and save your choice.
- Turn on reminders from your phone's Setting App: Open the Settings app on your phone and scroll down to 'Notifications'. Tap on MindLabs and turn the toggle for notifications on.
How can I find out what version of the app I'm using?
You can find the version of the app you’re using by navigating to the bottom of the ‘Settings’ screen in the MindLabs app.
I can't see my Mindful Minutes in the Apple Health app.
If for some reason your Mindful Minutes aren’t showing in the Apple Health app you can follow these steps to make sure that MindLabs has permission to both read and write Mindful Minutes data to Apple Health:
- Sync with Apple Health from Settings in the MindLabs app: Head to your Profile from the Home screen (by tapping the icon in the top-right hand corner of the screen) and find ‘Settings’ (also in the top-right hand corner). Turn on the toggle for ‘Sync with Apple Health’ and allow MindLabs to read and write Mindful Minutes data to Apple Health.
- In your phone settings: Open the Settings app on your phone and scroll down to the Apple Health app. Turn on Data Access & Devices. Scroll down to MindLabs, turn on the toggle for Mindful Minutes and allow MindLabs to read and write data to Apple Health.
I set up reminders but I don't want to receive them anymore. How can I disable them?
You can turn off daily reminders in two places:
- In your MindLabs settings: Head to your Profile from the Home screen (by tapping the icon in the top-right hand corner of the screen) and find ‘Settings’ (also in the top-right hand corner). Tap on ‘Daily Reminders’ turn the toggle off and save your choice.
- In your phone settings: Open the Settings app on your phone and scroll down to Notifications. Tap on MindLabs and turn the toggle for notifications off.
How do I set up an account?
Download the MindLabs app here and open the app. Tap on the ‘Get started’ button and follow the steps by adding your name, the goals you wish to work on and any topics that you’re interested in. After completing this, the next screen will ask you to create an account using Apple ID. Simply tap on the icon and follow the steps, either sharing or hiding your email address with us.
Can I use MindLabs when I don't have internet access?
We currently only offer individual accounts. Since these accounts are tailored to you and your needs, they’re not suitable for sharing with friends and family. (Remember, self-care isn’t selfish!)
Can I log into MindLabs on other devices?
Absolutely! You can download MindLabs on another device that uses the same Apple ID as the device you’re currently using the app on. Simply log in using the same Apple ID and all your preferences and saved classes will be shared on the other device.
How do I change my name?
To change your name, head to your profile (by clicking the profile icon in the top-right corner of the home screen) and tap on ‘settings’. From there, you’ll see your name displayed. Tap on your name and the screen to change it will appear.
How do I find my profile?
When you open the app there’s a profile icon at the top right corner of the screen. Clicking on this will open the profile screen, where you’ll find your saved classes and settings.
Can I change my email address?
We currently don't offer the ability to change your email address by yourself in Settings, but we're working on it! In the meantime if you need to change your email address, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address and something specific to your account (like a saved class or the daily class you're seeing - so we know it's really you!) and we'll change it for you.
Subscriptions & Payments
What kind of subscriptions are available on the MindLabs app?
We offer an annual and a monthly subscription. The annual one is currently available at an early-bird price of £47.99 per year. If you prefer a more flexible membership, we also offer a monthly subscription of £7.99 a month.
Where can I review my subscription information?
To find your subscription information, open the Settings app on your phone. Tap on your name, and then tap 'Subscriptions'. Select the MindLabs subscription.
Does MindLabs offer a free trial?
We do! When you first download the app you can trial the app for a whole two weeks if you choose the annual subscription, or one week if you choose the monthly subscription. However, this only applies once. If you’ve already used a trial with the MindLabs app, you won’t be able to use another one again.
What's included in a free trial?
Everything’s included in the free trial! Once you choose a trial you have access to all of the on-demand, live and replay content as well as the ability to save all your favourite classes.
Why do you need my card details for a free trial?
Apple's subscription system requires the need for card details to be present when selecting any app subscription as it uses Apple Pay. We, however, do not receive or store any card details when you subscribe. This is all handled by Apple.
What happens when my free trial ends?
Apple’s subscription environment requires a commitment to some form of subscription before starting a free trial. Because of this, the subscription package chosen when starting the trial will therefore automatically begin when the free trial ends, unless you cancel the trial until at least 24 hrs before that date.
How do I cancel my subscription or free trial?
To cancel your subscription or free trial, follow these steps:
- Open the Setting app in your phone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap 'Subscriptions.'
- Select the MindLabs subscription you have running.
- Tap 'Cancel Subscription' to disable it from auto-renewing at the end of the current billing cycle.
Does MindLabs auto-renew my subscription?
Your MindLabs subscription will automatically renew if it isn't cancelled at least 24 hours before the renewal date.
How do I upgrade my membership?
Follow these steps to upgrade your MindLabs subscription to another package:
- Open the Setting app in your phone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap 'Subscriptions.'
- Select the MindLabs subscription you wish you upgrade to and follow the steps to pay using Apple Pay.
There's been an error with my payment method. What do I do?
If for some reason there are insufficient funds at the time of your renewal date, Apple will attempt to take a payment a couple of days later, so please ensure that the funds are available at this time. If the second time Apple tries to collect payment it fails again, your subscription to MindLabs will change to cancelled.
How do I change my payment method?
Follow these steps to change your payment method:
- Open the Setting app in your phone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap 'Payment & Shipping.'
- Choose the payment method you wish to change or update. This will then be updated
I've been charged but didn't know I had a subscription running.
Sadly we don't have access to Apple's Subscription environment or billing details to cancel or refund purchases. We are sorry about this inconvenience (it is done to ensure the privacy and safety of your billing details!)
Apple have their own system for billing and payment information and deal with refund requests or incorrect payments for subscriptions completely separate from us. You can visit their customer service site or call their support team by visiting this website.
Can I pause my subscription?
We currently don't offer the option to pause your subscription. However, you can cancel the auto-renewal of your subscription that that it will expire at the end of the paid period following the steps above.
If you decide to cancel, your progress will automatically be saved to your account, so you can pick up where you left off if you decide to purchase a new subscription in the future.
I'm a MindLabs beta tester but the app isn't available in my home country. Do I still qualify for a free year's subscription?
First of all, thank you for being an early stage beta tester for our app! It’s thanks to users like you that we’re able to improve the MindLabs experience. We’ve set up a new Beta testing link just for people like you, so if you have an account drop us an email at email@example.com and we’ll send you a link to use until we’ve launched in your country. You will of course also have access to the 1-year free subscription when this happens!
I have a free 12-month subscription as I was a beta tester. What happens at the end of the year?
To take advantage of the 12-month subscription you will see a code that you can use to subscribe to MindLabs for 12-months for free. Since you’ll be using Apple Subscriptions you can manage this subscription from your Settings app. The subscription will auto-renew unless you cancel your subscription and at the end of the 12-month period the next period will be charged at £47.99 for a whole year.
Meditation & Mindfulness
What is meditation?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all definition of meditation: it can come in many shapes and sizes, and often doesn’t look anything like the stereotypical image we associate with it. Broadly speaking,
Meditation refers to a set of techniques designed to foster a heightened state of awareness and focused attention. When we meditate, we practice observing our thoughts without judgement, and anchoring our awareness onto the breath, the body or a mantra or visualisation, noticing when the mind wanders and gently bringing our attention back to our anchor.
Meditation encourages neuroplasticity (the brain’s ability to change and develop). The more we meditate, the more we strengthen neural pathways associated with focus, concentration and reason, while shrinking areas of the brain associated with stress, fear and anxiety.
Our mind classes are designed to provide an accessible introduction to meditation, with classes as short as five minutes. Once you’ve got the hang of it, we also have more advanced ‘deep meditation’ classes so you can keep improving your skills.
How long does it for meditation to see the benefits of meditation?
Research shows that eight weeks of 20-minute daily meditation practice can:
- Decrease grey-matter density in the amygdala, an area known to play an important role in stress and anxiety.
- Strengthen the neural pathways associated with focus, mood, attention and (ultimately) happiness.
You may well feel the benefits much sooner than this (and everyone is different!), but this is the time period listed in most peer-reviewed studies.
Where and when should I meditate?
You can meditate whenever, wherever. Some classes (like our live Brainboost class or James’ Waking up the body and mind), might be best for the morning, as they’re intended to help energise you for the day ahead. Others are intended to help you wind down in the evening. We have classes for every time of day, so it’s always a good time to meditate!
Are all classes meditations?
All classes contain some sort of meditation, mindfulness or breathwork component, although this looks very different depending on which class you’re watching. Some (like Understanding the importance of sleep) are more educational, with only a short exercise, while others involve a longer meditation practice.
How do I delete my account?
If you'd like to delete your account (💔) drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I unsubscribe from MindLabs marketing emails?
To unsubscribe from MindLabs marketing emails, follow these steps:
- Open your Profile screen in the MindLabs app and navigate to 'Settings'.
- Toggle the Newsletter toggle off.
- You will no longer receive marketing emails from MindLabs.
Is MindLabs tracking my location?
MindLabs does not use any specific geolocation tracking such as your exact longitude and latitude. We use tools that give us a large area such as a town or a city, which we use to determine the exact time when a live class will start for you and other users in your area.
What does it mean to share/hide my email address with Apple?
When creating an account using Apple Sign-in, Apple gives you the option to either share or hide your email address with us. This means that you can provide us with your exact email address for the purpose of creating your account and sending you relevant emails, or, you can choose to provide MindLabs with a ‘hidden’ email address (i.e. an email that has a randomised alphanumeric value that we will use for you to ensure your privacy). You will still receive all of the emails and be able to create an account.
How do I ask MindLabs to delete my information under GDPR?
Please contact our support team to ask them to delete all of the information MindLabs may hold on you by emailing email@example.com. This process may take up to 30 days and we will contact you one final time when everything has been deleted.